[mythtv-users] OT: 3 week old HDD "Clicking" ??

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Mon May 4 18:08:58 UTC 2009

On Mon, May 4, 2009 10:44 am, Rob Smith wrote:
> The problem is that they actually re-use smart values for things other
> then what is standard, for example, my 7200.10 uses
> Raw_Read_Error_Rate, Hardware_ECC_Recovered, and Seek_Error_Rate not
> as they are intended to be, so smartctl reports massive error numbers
> for those parameters, but they're meaningless. Personally, I'm a fan
> of knowing when I'm getting raw reads or seek errors...

Reminds me of a Ford I used to have that had an oil pressure gauge, but
with an on-off sender.  It either read zero, or in the center of the
'normal' range, but never anything else.  Volvo did a similar thing with
the temperature gauges on later-model 240s.  They would either read cold,
center scale, or hot, but all the normal variations were damped out to
avoid people coming in to complain that the car ran "a little hot."
Hiding information from customers is one way to avoid warranty returns, I
guess.