[mythtv-users] OT: 3 week old HDD "Clicking" ??

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Mon May 4 15:38:45 UTC 2009

On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 11:25 AM, Calvin Dodge <caldodge at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 8:46 AM, Dean Collins <Dean at cognation.net> wrote:
>> Just in case you think firmware fixes all these problems.
>>
>> http://deancollinsblog.blogspot.com/2009/03/seagate-drives-suck.html
>>
>> Seagate should be avoided at all costs.
>

> I'll throw in my regular plug for Hitachi drives here - they don't
> have a perfect record, but they're good enough that the company
> (www.tummy.com) which leases servers to my employer will use nothing
> else (and they have enough servers to get valid statistics, rather
> than just the anecdotal "I used Brand Y, and it was DOA" stories).
>
> I really DO wish Google would release their drive brand reliability
> stats, though (they saw an order of magnitude difference between the
> best brand and the worst one, but they won't publish THAT
> information).

Out of the 200+ drives spinning here at work most are Seagates (7200.9
to 7200.11 because of the 5 year warranty they had) and we have had
very good success with these (~1% failure rate) how ever every
manufacturer we have bought from in the last 12 or so years has had
its bad batches. All of the (except a single 1.5TB) seagates are 750
GB to 320 GB. I would say that ~50 of these are in a linux software
raid. And all of them are on all 24/7.

John