[mythtv-users] Program to read virtual channel data from Comcast clearQAM

Dennis Lou dlou99 at yahoo.com
Mon May 4 04:19:09 UTC 2009

Boleslaw Ciesielski bolek-mythtv at curl.com wrote:

>1. I get one of the following on all frequencies:
>
>tuning 555000000hz.....no lock
>tuning 561000000hz.locked...PID 0x1ffc timeout
>
>Does that mean that in my area no info is available at all?

Correct.  Either you aren't on Comcast, Comcast hasn't conducted the conversion
to digital in your area yet, or the tables are transmitted in increments farther than
5 seconds.  If the latter, then you can increase timeout with the -s option.

>2. Is the virtual channel map that you are describing the same or
>related to the VCT table that is part of ATSC standard (but that uses
>pid 0x1FFB)? I guess not, because Comcast does provide limited VCT info
>(for broadcast channels only) and both TV and Myth can see it. So, this
>must be something else? Can you point to a spec?

ANSI/SCTE 65, "Service Information Delivered Out-of-band for Digital Cable Television.
The broadcast channels you speak of have PSIP (ATSC A/65).  Seems the cable committee
and the broadcast committee couldn't agree :-)

-Dennis