[mythtv-users] Does .22 fix the no mono output via spdif bug that's in .21 fixes?

Another Sillyname anothersname at googlemail.com
Sat May 2 13:10:16 UTC 2009

2009/4/24 Allan Stirling <dibblah.allan.stirling at googlemail.com>:
> Another Sillyname wrote:

>>> Ah, yeah, with passthrough, you couldn't do anything about it (save buy a
>>> new receiver?).  Didn't realize there were problems with mono AC-3 (or
>>> DTS?)
>>> streams.
>>>
>>> Mike
>>>

>> Guys
>>
>> Thanks for the responses but this is a myth bug rather then a sound
>> server bug...
>>
>> If I record a mono source and play it back via myth then no sound (all
>> stereo and AC3 passthroughs work correctly as advertised).
>>
>> If I playback that source material using VLC it plays back fine no
>> matter what the sound source is (mono, stereo or AC3).
>>
>> I'm loath to start messing around with the alsa settings that may well
>> then break something later.......how do I make a request for this to
>> be addressed before .22 release?
>>

> By fixing it yourself, essentially.
>
> Please try the workaround listed in http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/5598
>
> Also the patch on the linked ticket. Does the error message change with the
> patch applied? (trunk only, backup first...)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Allan.

Allan

Thanks for the info but that ticket applies to AC3 mono sources, the
issue I have is that 'normal' (i.e. mp3 or DVB-T embedded recorded)
mono sources will not play.

Ideally what I want is.....

AC3 Passthough works correctly (This does work correctly at the moment)
MP3 or MPG Stereo works correctly via alsa (this does work correctly
at the moment if the output device is set to alsa:spdif)
MP3 or MPG Mono works correctly via alsa (this DOES NOT work correctly
at the moment via myth but does via vlc)

I read allensdigitalaudiohowto further down but that seems to be
addressing a different problem (unless I've misunderstood it)

Thanks in advance