[mythtv-users] Adding HVR-1600 to working PVR-500 mythtv setup -> no NTSC signal on HVR-1600 & ATSC guide info missing (comcast Mountain View, CA)

Dale Pontius DEPontius at edgehp.net
Fri May 1 09:42:08 UTC 2009

Matt Beadon wrote:
> As an easier followup question:
> Does the cx18 driver support Hauppauge model 74591?
> I see lots of references to model 74041 online but not much for the 74591.
>  I haven't even figured out what the difference is but I'm wondering if that
> is causing the following error:
>
> cx18-0: tveeprom cannot autodetect tuner!
>
> ?
I would head over to the video4linux mailing list for that one.  Most
certainly the author would want to hear about a new variety of the card.
  That number doesn't ring a bell for me, but I'm no expert.

Dale Pontius

> Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 13:15:28 -0700
>> From: Matt Beadon <matt.beadon at gmail.com>
>> Subject: [mythtv-users] Adding HVR-1600 to working PVR-500 mythtv
>>        setup ->        no NTSC signal on HVR-1600 & ATSC guide info missing
>> (comcast
>>        Mountain View, CA)
>> To: mythtv-users at mythtv.org
>>
>> Hi,
>> I have a mythtv 0.21 setup running on debian lenny.  It is my first
>> experience with myth so it took me ages to get everything configured
>> correctly.  However now Comcast in Mountain View is cutting all analog
>> cable
>> for channels >34 so I'm forced to add a ATSC cabability or lose most of the
>> channels I watch.  :(
>>
>> Here's where I am so far:
>>
>> I followed the procedure here:
>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Hauppauge_hvr-1600
>> My first problem was that using the HVR-1600 with the PVR-500 my
>> /dev/video*
>> devices moved around on me depending on cold boot or warm reboot.  So I
>> created a set udev rules (below) to give me a consistent place to link my
>> various tuners.
>> /etc/udev/rules.d/56-custom.rules:
>>
>>> KERNEL=="video[0-2]*", ATTR{name}=="cx18*0 encoder MPEG*",
>>> SYMLINK+="HVR-1600"
>>> KERNEL=="video[0-2]*", ATTR{name}=="ivtv0 encoder MPG*",
>>> SYMLINK+="PVR-500_1"
>>> KERNEL=="video[0-2]*", ATTR{name}=="ivtv1 encoder MPG*",
>>> SYMLINK+="PVR-500_2"