[mythtv-users] Standby and Sleep

Paul Bender pebender at san.rr.com
Tue Mar 31 21:53:43 UTC 2009

James Pifer wrote:
> I've been googling and looking through lots of pages, but not quite
> finding what I'm looking for. I'd like to be able to do two things:
>
> 1) Use the power button to put the frontend pc to sleep or standy and
> turn it back on with the power button

Yes. On MiniMyth, I use acpid with the file /etc/acpi/events/power
containing

event=button/power.*
action=/usr/bin/mm_sleep

/usr/bin/mm_sleep is a script that does some housekeeping. It puts the
frontend to sleep using the command

/bin/echo mem > /sys/power/state

> 2) If I use the "sleep" function, is it possible to have the system go
> into standby or shutdown/power-off when the time expires?

Yes. On MiniMyth, I use xscreensaver to do this. However, my
implementation is somewhat convoluted, so I am sure there is a simpler way.