[mythtv-users] CentOS vs Fedora, RAID vs LVM

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Tue Mar 31 17:06:57 UTC 2009

Mike Holden wrote:
> Miroslav Suchý wrote:
>> Jean-Yves Avenard napsal(a):
>>> You can grow the FS without even unmounting the disk...
>> You can do that with ext3 too:
>> resize2fs /dev/sda1
>
> You can, but on the next reboot you get bitten by an unexpected full fsck
> of the partition. This is quite a pain and a long wait when the partition
> is a 750Gb partition :-(

And if you do it offline, you'll have to do a full fsck first, or
resize2fs won't touch the partition.

Any time I'm doing something that major to a filesystem I kind of expect
it to be time-consuming.  An exception is ZFS, which was intentionally
designed to make filesystem creation and resizing a trivial operation.
(But the Linux implementation of it doesn't offer very good performance,
last I heard.)