[mythtv-users] OT: OTA CBS in Chicago?

Calvin Harrigan charriglists at bellsouth.net
Tue Mar 31 14:51:07 UTC 2009

Andrew Close wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 8:46 AM, Robert Kulagowski <rkulagow at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Did you know that CBS is broadcasting on VHF and not UHF in the Chicago area?
>
> my parents have this exact problem.  they picked up one of the digital
> converter boxes and a nice indoor digital antenna, but they no longer
> get CBS.  funny that CBS broadcasts on VHF when ALL the major networks
> in the Chicago area broadcast UHF.

The local PBS station here in Atlanta did something similar, in that on
the day of the (initial) switchover they moved the digital station to
frequency of the analog station which was in the VHF range, the digital
channel summarily disappeared from mythtv and even my actual TVs tuner.
  I had to rescan from both Mythtv and the TV.  From what I read, with
the change the were able to reuse the analog antenna and up the
transmission power of the digital channel.  I don't remember having to
do anything special with mythtv (HDHR Tuner) other than a rescan. On
second thought I think I might have had to update the frequency in a
database table, kinda cloudy now, don't remember if that step was
necessary or not, but I do remember looking at it.

Calvin...