[mythtv-users] Mythbuntu daylight-saving change didn't ?

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Tue Mar 31 11:43:36 UTC 2009

Kingsley Turner wrote:
> Hey,
>
> There's no posts on the list, so I must be the only one in the world
> with this problem:
> My Mythbuntu (8.10) did not change timezones on Monday morning!
> Even After 24 hours, it still isn't budging.
>
> I just checked the timezone (Europe) is set correctly -
>
> (this was at 06:48 in the morning)
>   root at mediabox:~# dpkg-reconfigure tzdata
>   Current default timezone: 'Europe/Zurich'
>   Local time is now:      Tue Mar 31 05:48:14 CEST 2009.
>   Universal Time is now:  Tue Mar 31 03:48:14 UTC 2009.
>
> So it looks like it knows we're now in summertime (2 hours ahead of
> UCT), but UCT is wrong!
> Surely the timeserver isn't wrong ?
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions on to debug this further?
> I adjusted the clock manually, but then a few minutes later it had
> re-synched itself back to the incorrect time.
>
> My other ubuntu boxes show the correct time.

Erm, I don't think UTC ever changes - it's the base from which all other zones
are referenced, after all. The UK, where I am, is now on BST (basically UTC + 1)
and my system reconfigured itself correctly over Sunday night.

Adjusting your clock manually isn't going to help - as you saw it just corrects
itself. You need to investigate your NTP settings. You might need to restart
your ntp server, perhaps.

--

Mike Perkins