[mythtv-users] Help configure my pcTV 800i tuner!

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Mar 30 20:35:00 UTC 2009

On Monday 30 March 2009 14:22:14 Mike Adolf wrote:
> I have recently installed MythTV .21 svn/fixes on my DELL under Ubuntu
> 8.10. Now I am having problems configuring my pcTV 800i dual tuner.  My
> first attempt is to configure it as just an analogue v4l card.  When I
> do so it lists the tuner as retrieved info on the configuration page, so
> it does see the card.
>
> 1) Is signing up for a XMLTV account a requirement for mythtv to work?

It's certainly a good idea, if you are in the US or Canada. It would be a
waste of money if you live elsewhere.

There are other options of course, EIT is one. I'm not sure if there are any
XMLTV solutions now for North America.

You have to get listing data from somewhere for MythTV to be useful, I have
always considered that to be the weak point in Myth.

Another thank you to the SD people for keeping a LOT of Myth systems working
when TMS decided to stop their service to users.

> 2) Why is the Scan For Channels selection always disabled?

I think scanning only works for digital tuners, not analog ones. If you
configure for the digital side, scanning should work.

--
beww
beww at beww.org