[mythtv-users] New deinterlacer for perfect image quality when using an interlaced display, mode that matches the source

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 13:26:26 UTC 2009

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 4:39 AM, Paul Gardiner <lists at glidos.net> wrote:
> Paul Gardiner wrote:
>>
>> Tom Dexter wrote:
>>>
>>> I noticed some flickering of translucent portions of the OSD (the
>>> playback menu for example) while this deinterlacer was in use (unless
>>> video is paused).  On 720p stations where it gets disabled this
>>> doesn't occur at all.
>>
>> I think I've just sussed what is causing this. The deinterlacer gets
>> given each frame twice. Each time it overwrites the bottom field,
>> but leaves the top field unchanged. After each call the OSD will
>> be rendered over the frame. The fact that I don't update the
>> top field in the second call to the deinterlacer means the OSD gets
>> rendered over the top of a previous rendering. That doesn't matter
>> for a solid OSD, but if translucent the top field will be
>> darker than the bottom.
>>
>> Should be easy to fix:

> Hmmm, so much for that idea! Doesn't seem to make any difference.
>
> P.

It's definitely a side affect I can live with for sure...it's not even
all that noticeable.

The deinterlacer really does work great though.  Watching the 1080i
content I'm starting to notice more and more just how much better it
looks...that almost 3D-like clarity I just wasn't getting before.
Great stuff.

Tom