[mythtv-users] CentOS vs Fedora, RAID vs LVM

Ben Curtis mythtv at nosolutions.com
Sun Mar 29 17:20:20 UTC 2009

First off, thanks for the responses everyone.

> The biggest issue when using JFS, is that CentOS 5 doesn't have
> support for JFS out of the box, you have to use the centosplus
> repository, then install the linux kernel from centosplus which has
> JFS support.

I'm really liking the idea of using JFS with no LVM now.  However, I'm also
really liking the idea of using Cent OS, who's default kernel supports
neither.  I am not so much liking the idea of having to use CentOSPlus to
enable JFS, though.  Wouldn't using CentOSPlus invalidate all of the
binaries from CentOS when using yum?  I may be interested in trying this,
but my fear is that the kernel will change in CentOSPlus, which would cause
it's packages to change, which could in turn cause me to upgrade my kernel
just to update a single application.  Am I reading into this wrong?

Thanks again,
Ben