[mythtv-users] long delays responding to keystrokes and ir events

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Mar 29 17:18:15 UTC 2009

On 03/29/2009 12:03 PM, lj wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-03-29 at 08:38 -0500, Larry on the Dell Laptop wrote:
>
>> Mike suggested on this list that the problem might be associated with
>> the screensaver provided by gnome.  To test this theory, I entered on
>> the command line (in a terminal) this command:

>> So  to test the theory that the gnome screen saver is somehow
>> implicated,  I decided to stop the gnome screensaver from running
>> temporarily (gone until I reboot) while I did some tests.   I did this:

>> Then I brought up an HD OTA recording of the Tonight Show and pressed
>> down on the skip forward /skip backward buttons until my index finger
>> went to sleep.     I could  not  trigger a  remote keypress delay failure!

> REF: above  and   "could  not  trigger a  remote keypress delay
> failure!"
>
> Practically as soon as I sent the message, I got the problem.  One must
> wait apparently for several minutes before trying to see if the remote
> button presses are delayed.
>
> Interestingly,  I have this problem on  a separate frontend  as well as
> on my  the frontend/backend main box.   All running the same version
> (previously posted).
>
> At this time,  I don't see a connection between the gnome-screen saver
> and this ir remote button delay/keyboard press delay.
>
> Next, going to educate my self about "nice" and see what the lirc
> process priority/nice is.

I started to reply to your last message to tell you that it seems
there's some completely unrelated problem causing the issue***, and then
I saw you say that it was fixed when you stopped running the screensaver...

Anyway, you actually have /both/ the screensaver bug (you need
0.21-fixes r19222 or better to have the fix for the screensaver bug and
you're on r18722) /and/ another issue that you're seeing.

I /highly/ recommend upgrading to current -fixes (at least as current as
your repo goes--and I know MythBuntu has at least r19222).  Then, you'll
only have the one issue.

If you can't upgrade or are afraid to, you can work around the gnome
screensaver bug by /both/ not running/disabling gnome-screensaver /and/
making gnome-screensaver-command either non-existent (i.e. mv
/usr/bin/gnome-screensaver-command
/usr/bin/gnome-screensaver-command-orig ) or--even better--after moving
it as just mentioned, also create a link to /bin/true ( ln -s /bin/true
/usr/bin/gnome-screensaver-command ).

Mike

***My best guess is that the 2nd issue has to do with your running on a
distro with an extremely new X.org version that triggers some X locking
issues.