[mythtv-users] long delays responding to keystrokes and ir events

Larry on the Dell Laptop larry at foxgulch.com
Sun Mar 29 13:38:24 UTC 2009

Here is my two cents on this problem after reading all the other
suggestions:

Adding  Option "UseEvents" "True"  did NOT fix the problem here.  It
didn't hurt anything as far as I could tell. (See below for my versions)

When the backup of events happens,  the keyboard is also affected.   If
I can't get the remote to respond, the keyboard pressed are  similarly
delayed.

I'm very reluctant to upgrade at this time remembering some sad attempts
in the past where an "upgrade" totally hosed my mythtv box.

Mike suggested on this list that the problem might be associated with
the screensaver provided by gnome.  To test this theory, I entered on
the command line (in a terminal) this command:

lj at mythtv:~$ pgrep -l gnome

and saw that **YES**,  the suspect gnome-screensav (er) was running! I
thought I had disabled it:

lj at mythtv:~$ pgrep -l gnome
6478 gnome-session
6665 gnome-keyring-d
6671 gnome-settings-
6678 gnome-keyring-d
6685 gnome-panel
6728 gnome-power-man
6753 gnome-screensav

So  to test the theory that the gnome screen saver is somehow
implicated,  I decided to stop the gnome screensaver from running
temporarily (gone until I reboot) while I did some tests.   I did this:

lj at mythtv:~$ kill -9 6753

and then noted with another run of pgrep that screensav (er) process was
indeed gone from the list:

lj at mythtv:~$ pgrep -l gnome
6478 gnome-session
6665 gnome-keyring-d
6671 gnome-settings-
6678 gnome-keyring-d
6685 gnome-panel
6728 gnome-power-man

Then I brought up an HD OTA recording of the Tonight Show and pressed
down on the skip forward /skip backward buttons until my index finger
went to sleep.     I could  not  trigger a  remote keypress delay failure!

Could someone else try this using the steps above  and confirm the
gnome-screensav (er) theory?  Please post your results under the subject
noted above.   I'll run for a few days and see if the delay resurfaces.
(Its Sunday March 29,2009) then report my results here.  My better half
will thank you!

Larry

FYI, here are my mythbuntu 8.10 with gnome versions on the affected
mythtv box:

lj at mythtv:~$ mythbackend --version
Please include all output in bug reports.
MythTV Version   : 18722
MythTV Branch    : branches/release-0-21-fixes
Library API      : 0.21.20080304-1
Network Protocol : 40
Options compiled in:
 linux profile using_oss using_alsa using_arts using_jack using_backend
using_dbox2 using_dvb using_firewire using_frontend using_hdhomerun
using_iptv using_ivtv using_joystick_menu using_libfftw3 using_lirc
using_opengl_vsync using_opengl_video using_v4l using_x11 using_xrandr
using_xv using_xvmc using_xvmcw using_xvmc_vld using_glx_proc_addr_arb
using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python using_opengl
using_ffmpeg_threads using_libavc_5_3 using_live

lj at mythtv:~$ mythfrontend --version