[mythtv-users] VDPAU question

Travis Tabbal travis at tabbal.net
Sun Mar 29 04:27:01 UTC 2009

On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 10:05 PM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com>wrote:

> That's not at all true.  You still need to decode audio, and everything
> else besides video decoding.  People are talking about resurrecting their
> old low end Via systems and such.  Even lowly mp3 would take a decent chunk
> of CPU to decode on an older machine.  I have to believe high bitrate DTS,
> and some of the more intensive audio options on Bluray/HDDVD would overwhelm
> those chips.

2 channel PCM is generally available for most streams. Those that have a
need for high end codecs like DTS and AC3 are using passthrough and letting
the amplifiers handle the decoding in most cases. The most frequent audio
topics on this list seem to be about getting SPDIF and/or HDMI audio out
working. :)