[mythtv-users] VDPAU question

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Sun Mar 29 04:05:57 UTC 2009

Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> With VDPAU, it's pretty irrelevant what CPU you are using ... Any
> VDPAU video card will happily let you watch any HD video without ever
> straining the CPU.
That's not at all true.  You still need to decode audio, and everything
else besides video decoding.  People are talking about resurrecting
their old low end Via systems and such.  Even lowly mp3 would take a
decent chunk of CPU to decode on an older machine.  I have to believe
high bitrate DTS, and some of the more intensive audio options on
Bluray/HDDVD would overwhelm those chips.