[mythtv-users] CentOS vs Fedora, RAID vs LVM

Bobby Gill bobbygill at rogers.com
Sat Mar 28 22:25:15 UTC 2009

> Personally I like LVM.. It's so convenient.. Yes, you can do the same
> with RAID now but it's nowhere as easy as with LVM.
> There's support for LVM out of the box in CentOS.
>
> I added a 1TB disk to my system a few month ago (not in RAID, never
> cared much about the data my backend contains) it took 5 minutes all
> up to add the drive and extend the partition.
>
> I also use JFS , every study/report show how much more suitable it is
> for big files compare to ext3.
> The biggest issue when using JFS, is that CentOS 5 doesn't have
> support for JFS out of the box, you have to use the centosplus
> repository, then install the linux kernel from centosplus which has
> JFS support.
>
> Last month I installed a full backend for a friend, and I reconsider
> my choice of filesystem. Again, the choice came down between JFS and
> XFS.
>
> I chose JFS again for the following reasons:
> 1-You still hear report of people who got a corrupted partition and
> lost data. You don't read this about JFS.
> 2-There's no automatic fsck for XFS, this was the main reason for me
> for not choosing xfs...
>
> JFS has been so reliable for me and others for so long ; it's ideal
> IMO for mythtv partition data. Still use ext3 for the root partition
> for convenience.
>
> LVM does add a small layer of complexity, and it probably won't look
> necessary when you install linux/mythtv, but a few years from now and
> you need to change your partition layout, you'll be glad you did...
>
> Jean-Yves

I just did the switch to LVM for my Myth recordings partitions and I really,
really love how I can finally see them both as one big ol' partition. The
management is indeed very easy, I am super glad I made the switch.

Your high recommendation for JFS has me intrigued. I've been a pretty
absent-minded, "default" ext3 user for some time now and haven't even really
thought of a FS change. I am really considering converting my recordings to
JFS now (just have to plan an overnight move of all the data to my external
drive beforehand, of course hehe). Would it be worth it to convert to JFS vs
ext3 for my recordings partitions? What are the benefits?

Thanks very much
Bob