[mythtv-users] suggestions for mini-itx mainboard for front end

Wouter van Atteveldt wouter at vanatteveldt.com
Sat Mar 28 21:44:40 UTC 2009

Dear list,

I've been struggling for a long time with a Commell LV-675D mainboard; I
finally got it to give DVI-out (had to replace the mainboard and the
TV :-)) but it hung at unpredictable moments with a warped screen, and
now it doesn't even get to the BIOS menu before hanging.

I'm looking to replace it with either a new mainboard (I was thinking
about an atom based mainboard) or a mac mini or dell studio hybrid like
out of the box system.

I would only use it as a front-end, so storage is not a problem.

Desired features:

- mini-ITX form factor
- DVI/HDMI video output
- S/PDIF (TOSLink)  sound output
- capability for full HD resolution (1920x1080, right?), so both
decoding power and graphics card have to support it

My case (Nexus Psile) can handle one PCI card, so I could get an
external video card, but then the mainboard probably needs an
PCI-express slot.

I don't mind installing things or editing xorg.conf files to get it to
work, but I don't want to apply kernel patches or build special drivers,
that just scares me :-)

Questions:

1) Would you go for a new mainboard or an out-of-the-box solution (of
so, which?)
2) Can anyone recommend a good mainboard that meets the specs and has
decent driver support in linux (pref ubuntu 8.04/8.10)?

Thanks!

-- Wouter