[mythtv-users] Need to quiet my frontend...

stuart stuart at xnet.com
Thu Mar 26 21:46:04 UTC 2009

Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 03/26/2009 03:32 AM, Francesco Peeters wrote:
>> Michael T. Dean wrote:

>>> 1) Wall
>>> 2) Drill
>>> 3) Thread cables through hole in wall
>>>
>>> Mike "No frontend is more pretty than an invisible frontend, and no
>>> frontend is more silent than one in the other room" Dean
>>>
>> LOL! That'd be interesting... A MythBox against the outside wall of my
>> house...  :-)
>
> If you only have one wall (and it's not circular), your MythBox is
> already outside.
>
> If your Myth box is currently inside, look a bit to the left and/or right.
>
> Mike

Are we talking a Möbius strip type wall here?

A thought that occurs to me as I look at the basement walls:  What about
epoxying the toasty parts of the font end to those walls?  I understand
that cement has a lower R value then some (most?) windows.  This should
eliminate all the fans.

As for the HDD noise - are you already isolating the HDD w/rubber feet
(you know, like a car's engine is isolated from a car's body)?  I seem
to remember SonicBlue actually wrapping HDDs in sound deadening material
before assembling a ReplayTV unit (I wouldn't, but that's what I think
they did).

Also, some HDDs have something like a "slient running" setting where you
don't hear as much clicking but accesses take longer.  You might look
into that.