[mythtv-users] USB IR Reveiver

Jan Hufenbach mail at jan-hufenbach.de
Thu Mar 26 11:48:02 UTC 2009

> On Thu, 2009-03-26 at 08:45 +1000, David Whyte wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> It seems that the Microsoft USB MCE Remote package has been
>> discontinued for sometime now, which is annoying since it was such a
>> nice little package, cheap and well supported within Ubuntu.
>>
>> I am after a new receiver for one of my frontends, but since the
>> remotes are costing more second hand on eBay than I paid new for my
>> others, my options are limited.
>>
>> What are others doing for USB receivers?  My main question is, when it
>> comes to LIRC, does it matter much which receiver you have, or is the
>> LIRC config all about the remote codes themselves?  I guess I am
>> worried about support for the USB receiver from within Ubuntu.
>>
>> Any hints would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Whytey
>
> Is $30 too much? I paid $20 for just the mce usb receiver a couple weeks
> ago. Was worth it to me for the ease of use.
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/Microsoft-MCE-Media-Center-Remote-Control-Complete-Kit_W0QQitemZ360141940776QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item360141940776&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1234%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50
>
> James

For a long time I have been using the homebrew ir-receiver for the serial
port, which cost me about 3 EUR in parts and ten minutes work. But a lot
of new computers lack a serial port nowadays. Fortunately there is a
similar device available:
http://usbirboy.sourceforge.net/
The parts are just a little more expensive (not much if you have an old
USB-cable lying around) and the setup is more complicated due to the
firmware transit and programming of the IC. When done, you have a very
small usb-ir-receiver. If you wish to integrate the receiver in to the
frontplate of your MythBox, you can drop the USB-cable and use a cable
with a connector to the additional USB-headers most mainboards feature.
This entire procedure involves some handiwork with a soldering iron of
course, or access to a person able to do it.