[mythtv-users] Need to quiet my frontend...

Jan Hufenbach mail at jan-hufenbach.de
Thu Mar 26 08:06:23 UTC 2009

> Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> On 03/25/2009 02:52 PM, James Pifer wrote:
>>
>>> I have a frontend system in the bedroom. It's a slim form factor Compaq
>>> D5S/P1.7 running mythdora 5. The system is fairly quiet except for the
>>> hard drive. What are people doing to quiet these down?
>>>
>>> I tried installing the system to a flash drive, but the install keeps
>>> failing. Not sure it will run well enough off a flash drive anyway.
>>>
>>> The other possibility is running off the network. Anybody doing this
>>> successfully?
>>>
>>> Are there hard drive options that are quieter? SSD maybe?
>>>
>>> Any suggestions appreciated.
>>>

>> 1) Wall
>> 2) Drill
>> 3) Thread cables through hole in wall
>>
>> Mike "No frontend is more pretty than an invisible frontend, and no
>> frontend is more silent than one in the other room" Dean
> LOL! That'd be interesting... A MythBox against the outside wall of my
> house...  :-)
> --
> Francesco "My bedroom TV hangs on the front outside wall" Peeters

If I have read the specs correctly, your Compaq was/is equipped with a
standard 3,5" HDD. You could try a 2,5" Laptop-HDD with an appropriate
frame to fit it into the 3,5-slot (with the smaller form factor, there is
even room for vibration dampers etc. There are of course even Laptop-HDDs
which are not that silent, but in my experience the drives from Samsung,
Hitachi and Western Digital work well.
Network booting is of course another option to try. I have one box setup
with such a configuration and it ist running quite well. But I do
recommend a 1Gbit Ethernet on both ends (Box and Server), to make it
really smoth.
Why your attempt with the SSD failed, I don't know. What kind of flash
drive are you using?