[mythtv-users] Cover art

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Mar 25 22:38:28 UTC 2009

On 03/25/2009 06:22 PM, Bobby Gill wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 6:00 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>> On 03/25/2009 11:52 AM, Damian wrote:
>>
>>> A while ago, I started a thread about poor quality of the cover art
>>> being downloaded by MythVideo. The problem was solved very quickly,
>>> but has never filtered though into Mythbuntu. Does anyone have the
>>> latest version of the fixed file that I could just overwrite my old
>>> file with?
>>>
>> Yep (or, actually, even better).  It's all spelled out at:
>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Tmdb.pl .  Then, you don't have to violate
>> the IMDb ToS /and/ you get /much/ better quality posters than you get
>> from even the "fixed" imdb.pl .
> I just tried the tmdb.pl, got it installed and it is indeed at
> /usr/share/mythtv/mythvideo/scripts/tmdb.pl, and I updated the Video
> settings in FE accordingly, but when I go to search in Videos > Video
> Manager, it keeps telling me the file does not exist. I've rechecked the
> paths several times, and the permissions are that of all other script files
> as well in the dir.

The "file" of which you speak is most likely, "tmdb.xml".  That error
occurs when there is absolutely no response from themoviedb.org (not
even an error code) and, therefore, is /no/ data to parse.

The interesting thing is that the error occurs /very/ quickly--in spite
of the timeout (which, by default with the Perl module in use is 3
minutes--I'm guessing, but haven't read the code to verify, that tmdb.pl
is using the default).  So, how can you get /no/ response extremely
quickly with a 3-minute timeout?  It happens when there's a network
issues--such as name-resolution failure.

Run the script a 2nd time (after the caching-only name server you're
running has actually found the IP address for themoviedb.org) and it
works perfectly.  You can generally run it immediately after you dismiss
the error dialog.  (If you don't run your own name server, complain to
your ISP.  If your ISP's name server isn't causing problems, check your
network/routing/proxies/...)

Mike "Hasn't gotten around to making a patch for that, yet, but it's
easy to work around by re-running" Dean