[mythtv-users] Frontend questions

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 03:37:39 UTC 2009

Hi

2009/3/25 Patrick Lorigan <pat711 at gmail.com>:
> 1. I'm currently using the IR receiver on one of my Hauppauge 250s and a
> Harmony 880 (emulating the Hauppauge a415 remote) to control my machine.
>  Once I move the backend and tuners out of the room, I'll need to get a new
> IR receiver.  Can anyone recommend a USB IR receiver that is well-supported
> by LIRC that will recognize my current remote setup with minimal
> reconfiguration?

If you like Hauppauge, their MCE remote worked right away with little
configuration required.

> 2. Will a motherboard with an integrated Geforce 9300 or 8300 be enough to
> playback HD video (via DVI/HDMI), or do I need to go with a dedicated card?
>  The machine will most likely have a Core 2 Duo E7400 (or comparable AMD
> chip), and 4GB or RAM.  I'm currently playing back HD using a Geforce 5300
> without any problems on the backend machine (similar processor and RAM).
> Thanks,

That processor is enough to play most HD using software decompression,
but thanks to VDPAU you could even say it's slightly overkill... a
9300 will do a great job there...

Why don't you get one of the new mac mini? it has everything you need:
it's tiny, virtually silent, comes with an IR receiver and onboard
nvidia 9400.
can't get any smaller !

Jean-Yves