[mythtv-users] recording and livetv setup

jim Peters jiminycricket180 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 11:50:50 UTC 2009

I have been using mythtv for a few years now, but just recently I have
added more capture cards a slave backend and two frontends (previously
I had been using a single backend/frontend combo box for everything)
My master backend has these tuner cards;
PVR 350
Wintv PVR usb
ATI Wonder HDTV

My slave backend has;
Kworld expert hardware encoder
HDHomerun

The qam cards (ATI Wonder HDTV and HDHomerun) have a very limited
number of unencryped channels and I rarley if ever record from them.
The PVR-350 and the Wintv PVR USB are the 2 cards that I prefer to use
for recording shows but are limited to the lower 56 channels of my
cable feed but then that is where 98 % of all my recordings come from.
The Kworld card has 2 inputs, television and composite, the composite
is connected to my cable box.

I would like to set this up so that livetv uses the kworld-cablebox
(so that I can recieve all of my channels on my bedroom frontend) and
for recording I would like to use in this order;
ATI Wonder HDTV and/or HDHomerun if the recording is avalible on the
limited channels
PVR-350
Wintv PVR usb
Kworld expert hardware encoder-telivision
Kworld expert hardware encoder-composite, when the channel isn't
available from any other source.

what is the best way to set this up (card order-recording priorities
ect.) I know I can just change the tuner source when I start a
frontend but for my wife it would be nice if when she turns on the
bedroom TV it defaults to the cablebox tuner.
any help/input will be appreciated
Thankls,
Jim