[mythtv-users] Broadcom Air2PC ATSC

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 04:25:57 UTC 2009

2009/3/23 Mitch Gore <mitchell.gore at gmail.com>

> On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 10:02 AM, Curt Richards <
> curt_richards at frontiernet.net> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I thinking of using a Broadcom Air2PC ATSC PN 92400-20001
>
> will be fine.
>

>> with an ASUS M38A78-EM motherboard which has 1080P HDMI output, 8 channel
>> audio and an ATI Radeon HD 3200 GPU onboard.
>

> id pick a diff board w/ on board nvidia or add a PCI-X Nvidia card.
> Specifically one that supports VDPAU.  http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/VDPAU
>

>> The Air2PC is is pre 2005.flag board.
>
> All cards ignore flag.  this was shot down.  irrelevant.
>

>> I thinking that a dual core CPU should do the job, although the
>> motherboard will support a 140 watt quad core chip.
>>

> dual core is plenty.  a 2.5ghz dual or more should be sufficient.
>

>> I would appreciate opinions on or reports of actual experience with any of
>> the above, before I buy parts! :-)
>>

> Good luck.

I have 2 air2pc cards in a asus M3A and it was a royal pain getting it
working.  There was some conflict between the nvidia drivers and the air2pc
such that the MB would not boot all the time.  Using envyng to install the
drivers fixed the problem.  I have always wanted to compare power draw of
the air2pc cards to the HDHR that I have to see the payback time for the
HDHR.  If I had it to do over again, I would get 2 HDHRs instead.  Would
have saved me many hours of frustration.

Allen