[mythtv-users] optimized system configuration for DB

sonofzev at iinet.net.au sonofzev at iinet.net.au
Mon Mar 23 22:58:04 UTC 2009

Hi All

I am soon to move my backend to my fileserver box so that I only have one PC that
needs to be on 24/7. As well as reduce my cooling requirements on the frontend
boxes.

I have 2 separate 3 disk RAID 5 setups on this box, and my intention to have the
DB and the Recording folder each on one of the RAID's (separated). The RAID I was
going to put the DB on, is used primarily for backup files, but also does get
some more intense use intermittently as the BT client I use also writes to that
disk. The other disk is already being utilised for recordings, and also video
files (separate LVM partitions on the RAID).

Lately, I've much of the communication on these threads, I am not confident that
this is the best configuration. I also have had some DB optimisation issues
(actually still experiencing them) so I want to setup this up in the best
possible way but without spending too much more money.

I am now leaning towards getting a USB drive (HDD not SSD) to put the myth
database exclusively on to.

Is my thinking right here, or would my original idea be okay? Would I need a
higher speed 7200 RPM drive, or would one of the smaller USB powered 2.5"  drives
be enough for the DB?

Also, the documentation doesn't seem to have much regarding db optimisation, can
someone point me in the right direction for optimising the DB for MythTV. The
backend box is a Gentoo box, so any specific gentoo related docs would also be
great.

Thanks for any help at all.

cheers

Allan