[mythtv-users] Backend for fast commercial flagging (HD-PVR recordings)

Steve Heistand steve at heistand.org
Mon Mar 23 17:56:10 UTC 2009

On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 13:36:39 -0400, Steve Harrington wrote
> >On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 11:41:11AM -0400, Steve Harrington wrote:
> >>/ Hi all,
> />>/
> />>/ I'm looking to replace my SBE with a machine that can handle real time  /
> >>/ (or as close to it as economically feasible) commercial flagging of my
> />>/ HD-PVR recordings recorded at highest quality.  Has anyone had any
> />>/ experience with this?  Any suggestions on what to get?
> />>/
> />>/ I was thinking about an AMD Phenom II x4.  Any thoughts on this?
> />
> >     How many jobs are you planning on running concurrently?
> >
> >     If you are interested in jobs finishing as quickly as possible then
> > the get the fastest core speed you can and don't worry so much about
> > getting more cores. Your commflag job is just another client doing playback.
> > So think of the box doing the flagging as a machine that should be able to
> > play back the recording in software.
> >
> > [deletia]
>
> I will be doing up to 4 commercial flagging jobs at once, depending on what's on of course.

my relatively old core 2 duo 3ghz does realtime commercial flagging on the hdpvr
and takes up about 25% of a cpu to do it. (6mbits datarate if it matters)
so a dual core 3ghz should be sufficient if you arent doing any transcoding.

"Why is it so hot inside this handbasket?"
--
Steve Heistand
steve at heistand.org