[mythtv-users] AMD Phenom Lockups

Ian Clark mrrooster at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 17:08:28 UTC 2009

2009/3/22 Yan Seiner <yan at seiner.com>

> Yan Seiner wrote:
>
>> OK, this is marginally on topic - my backend has an AMD Phenom and it's
>> locking up somewhat randomly.
>>
>>  OK, so I've been trying to track this down.  So far, I've tried a
> replacement PS; no joy.  Temp's OK, disabling ACPI for CPU didn't help...
>
> Memtest didn't show any errors at first.  Then I happened to catch the
> lockup as I was sitting at the console, and ran memtest after a warm boot.
>  Almost immediately the screen turned red.  Powercycle machine, run memtest,
> memory is fine...  Let it run until the next lockup, memory fails...

What Phenom is it? It's not one of the very early ones with the cache bug is
it? If so, do you have the bios update? (If the model number ends with 50
then it should be ok.)

> So I have a stick of memory that fails after being on for some hours...
>  Never seen that before.  I've now replaced the memory with some I had on
> hand; we'll see if that helps.

I've seen memory fail after several hours of memtesting, fixing it did fix
the occasional random crashes.  (With the pvr, but was with myTheatre before
I moved to myth.)

Memory is funny stuff when it starts to go wrong.

Also, myth is the kind of workload that does tend to stress memory, so that
might explain it.

Ian