[mythtv-users] Options for streaming over the web

Stuart Larson halcyon at obfus.com
Mon Mar 23 02:27:53 UTC 2009

> List,
>
> I don't use my Myth setup to record TV...it's mainly just a depository for
> all my DVDs.
> These all exist as "Perfect" rips (per MythDVD), 4 to 6-gig .VOB files.
>
> I would like to be able to watch these over the web but I'm having issues.
>  What are my options here?
>
> I'm looking into MythStreamTV but right now it gives me an error: "Fatal
> Error at /usr/share/mythweb/modules/tv/includes/channels.php, line 65: No
> channels were detected.  Are you sure that MythTV is properly configured?"
>  Not sure where to go from here.
>
> I'm also looking into converting all my videos into Flash Video using
> ffmpeg.  The trick then would be to set up MythWeb so that it would only
> list Flash videos, and so that my MythFrontend would only show the "full
> size" high-res videos; this would work great because it would let me
> stream movies when I'm traveling.  However, having converted a video, it
> doesn't play in the browser--when I click on it, IE or Firefox just tries
> to download the file instead of playing it.
>
> Can I get some tips, lessons learned, and/or ideas?  Thanks in advance!
>
> --Pete

It doesn't really sound like you need Myth to do what you want.  I believe
MythStreamTV pretty much works just with the recorded TV files... Since
you're already working on converting your movies to flash, you'll just
need a "player" page, which has the embedded flash player, including
passing the filename to the flash player.  You can then set up an index
page, which either you write, or have it dynamically create based on the
files in a directory, for instance...  A search for "flvplayer" should get
you plenty of starting points on embedding the flash player in a web
page..  I believe if you search the myth wiki for flash, you'll get some
other information as well (may be outdated, and is more geared to the old
way of integrating flash into mythweb... but some info no less)