[mythtv-users] AMD Phenom Lockups

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Sat Mar 21 18:55:19 UTC 2009

On Sat, Mar 21, 2009 at 09:23:14AM -0400, mikp wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 02:45:08 +0100
> Janne Grunau <janne-mythtv at grunau.be> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 06:09:46PM -0700, Yan Seiner wrote:
> > > OK, this is marginally on topic - my backend has an AMD Phenom and it's
> > > locking up somewhat randomly.

What about your core temperature?

I was having freezing problems with a Intel QuadCore until I had my system
properly cooled. First I tried a fancier CPU cooler, but that didn't work.
Then I added 2 more case fans and that seems to have done the trick.

My cores run a good 10C cooler and so does my passive nv8400 card.

> > > [kernel log]
> > >
> > > So it looks like the freq governor.  Anyone know of any issues with
> > > phenom cpu governors?  Which are safe to use and which aren't?
> >
> > I've no problems with ondemand from 2.6.27.x on a Phenom II X4
> >
> If you are using ondemand, then you might want to set the up_threshold to
> something like 50%.
[deletia]