[mythtv-users] [Slightly OT] solar power for all our gadgets

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Sat Mar 21 02:57:58 UTC 2009

Brian Wood wrote:
> On Friday 20 March 2009 18:29:54 Wookey wrote:
>> +++ David Brodbeck [2009-03-20 16:56 -0700]:
>>> The ones our utility oh-so-helpfully installed in our bathroom take over
>>> a minute to warm up.  Just what you want in a room you spend maybe three
>>> minutes in at a time.  They also don't like being frequently switched on
>>> and off, and have begun dying about six months after they were installed.
>>> Color me unimpressed; I'll be replacing them with incandescent bulbs.

>> Please don't do that. Either get some better CFLs (there are plenty),
>> or consider LEDs.

> Any CFL that behaves the way the OP described is either broken or VERY old.
> Con-ED in NYC was giving away better ones than that in 1991.

They're actually almost brand new.  And I doubt all eight of them were
broken from the factory.  Oddly, the ones they installed elsewhere in
the house worked better, but they were the twisty kind.  The bathroom
ones are exposed so they're the kind where the twisty tube is encased in
a plastic sphere, to look like decorative incandescents.

They do produce *some* light right away, but it's less than half their
eventual brightness.  The installer assured me that would change after
they broke in, but that hasn't been the case.

My opinion is that CFLs only make sense for lights that are turned on
and left on for long periods. In a bathroom, the constant on/off cycling
will kill them too fast for them to pay off.

The same is true for LED bulbs, really.  While power-cycling won't kill
them, a bathroom light is probably on for less than an hour a day.  The
payoff just isn't there for replacing them with something more
efficient, especially since for half the year we're also switching on a
heat lamp when we're in there to warm up the room.