[mythtv-users] [Slightly OT] solar power for all our gadgets

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Fri Mar 20 23:56:24 UTC 2009

On Fri, March 20, 2009 2:38 pm, John Finlay wrote:
> My electric utility sent some Niagara Conservation EarthBrite CFLs out
> to encourage conservation. They are instant start with full light output
> right off the bat. Not dimmable though.

The ones our utility oh-so-helpfully installed in our bathroom take over a
minute to warm up.  Just what you want in a room you spend maybe three
minutes in at a time.  They also don't like being frequently switched on
and off, and have begun dying about six months after they were installed.
Color me unimpressed; I'll be replacing them with incandescent bulbs.