[mythtv-users] program.MYD not found

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Mar 20 19:22:58 UTC 2009

On 03/20/2009 03:06 PM, R. G. Newbury wrote:
> Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> Check the MySQL data directory (usually something like /srv/mysql or
>> (*shudder*) /var/lib/mysql ) to see if the directory and file exist
>> and verify permissions on them.
> Why the *shudder* at /var/lib/mysql (sounds like a rock concert!)
>
> Is that because it's where Fedora puts the db or something else?
>
> (Since /var can be the object of a runaway error log, I create a
> ~/mysql folder, copy the contents of /var/lib/mysql there, and then
> make /var/lib/mysql a symlink to ~/mysql (which is on a separate /home
> partition, too)).

It's just a pet-peeve of mine.

Mainly just because I'm far too much a believer in the Filesystem
Hierarchy Standard ( http://www.pathname.com/fhs/ ) and /var is meant
for "variable data files" (
http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#THEVARHIERARCHY)--meaning
ephemeral/short-lifespan files, and /var/lib is specifically meant for
"variable state information (
http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#VARLIBVARIABLESTATEINFORMATION
)--meaning data used to preserve the state of an application between
reboots (not data that's constantly re-read and re-written during normal
application usage).

On the other hand, /srv contains site-specific data which is served by
the system (
http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#SRVDATAFORSERVICESPROVIDEDBYSYSTEM
), which is a pretty good description of the /data/ made available by a
database /serve/r on the /system/...  :)  The big problem with /srv is
that there's no standard structure for the contents of /srv.  However,
there's no standard structure for the contents of /var/lib, either, so
since distros can make up a structure for it, they can do the same for /srv.

I think most distros that use /var/lib/mysql are doing so primarily
because either a) that's MySQL's default (since MySQL started using that
before FHS), or b) they just haven't updated their installations to use
a new FHS-compliant structure, yet, or c) they don't plan to follow the
recommendations of FHS.

Mike "Overly obsessed about his filesystem structure" Dean