[mythtv-users] [Slightly OT] solar power for all our gadgets

Carl Reynolds mythtv-users at hyperbole-software.com
Fri Mar 20 19:19:39 UTC 2009

Jeff Walther wrote:
> If you wish to object to our injecting heat into the ecosystem, we have nothing more to discuss.  Physics and the need to keep billions of people alive says we're going to do that.

Jeff,
Thanks for your response. I think you have made a number of interesting
points. I'll have to take the time to look into them. As this is so far
off topic for the myth-user's list, I'm going to make my response brief
and only respond to one of your points.

I am not trying to say that we should stop all energy production. I
agree with you that energy will be an essential part of maintaining and
growing the culture we have established on this planet. I just want us
to stop using in excess of 600 watts an hour to keep one light bulb
burning for that time. There are other means of producing electricity
than the Carnot cycle engine and we are spending little or none of our
resources to find and use those other means. I like the idea of wind
power, solar power, etc. But I think you and I agree that they are not
sufficient to provide our electrical needs at the current time. There
was a small amount of research performed in the '70s and '80s into
producing electric directly from fusion, and into using Magnet
Hydro-Dynamic for the production of electricity. These and other
projects should be encouraged rather than spending the billions we are
spending on trying to further the use of Carnot cycle engines.

Carl.