[mythtv-users] myth front end on new mac mini core 2 duo?

Jason spuppet at comcast.net
Fri Mar 20 04:51:12 UTC 2009

On Wed, March 18, 2009 19:50, Damian Haslam wrote:
> Thanks Jason - that's very helpful. Do you know what encodings the
> various HD channels you listed below have? And their bitrate?

I have to admit, I'm not sure what tool will tell me accurate numbers for
the MPEG files, so I don't have those bitrates.  They hadn't been
re-encoded, so maybe that helps.

I did find an tool that would figure it out for the MKV, which turned out
to be about 5500kbit/sec.

> And a more basic question - does the HDMI output have sound, or do you
> need to use the TOSLink thing?

I'm currently using the miniDVI->DVI adaptor.  Tomorrow, I'll migrate to a
miniDVI -> HDMI adaptor that should be arriving first thing.  It looks
like DisplayPort supports audio, but I'm not aware of the details of
getting that working in Linux.  If it's not currently working, I'm sure
some smarty will get it working though.

For audio, I'm planning to use the optical output to TOSLINK, as that's
what my current setup uses.  My AVReceiver doesn't support HDMI.  I'll be
learning this weekend how well the optical output works.

Jason