[mythtv-users] Overcoming black crush and blown out highlights

Ben Lancaster mail at benlancaster.co.uk
Thu Mar 19 22:13:46 UTC 2009

My HDTV isn't capable of displaying full-range RGB (0-255), only
16-235. As a result, on most HD content and some higher-bandwidth SD
MPEG2 content, I get quie bad black crush and blown out highlights,
specifically with reds. I'm at the limit with what I can adjust on the
TV set itself to improve it, so I'm now looking for a software
solution on the media centre side. I know in the windows nvidia-
settings there's a dynamic range option, but I can't find one on the
linux equivalent. Are there any xorg tweaks I can use?

I'm using an nVidia 9500GT with onboard HDMI to a Sony Bravia LCDTV at
720p (50Hz).

Thanks in advance.