[mythtv-users] How to force frontends to play only from master backend?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Mar 19 19:42:26 UTC 2009

On 03/19/2009 10:06 AM, Harry Coin wrote:
> I think changing the backend setting from a toggle to 'stream from
> master if slave backends are sleeping or not' to a three state:
> 'always stream from master backend when possible, only if slave is
> snoozing, never' would be better!

But why stop there?  Wouldn't we also need a setting, "Stream all
recordings from specified backend" (and associated, "Backend to always
stream recordings") for those users who have their NFS set up on a
non-master backend (after all, the master backend is the busiest
backend, so may not be the best choice for a high-performance software
RAID'ed file server)?

But, in general, hacking the DB data directly is not the approved solution.

And, really, have you tested to see if the "inefficiency" of having the
remote backend reading from an NFS server and then streaming to a
frontend is /really/ a problem?  Or are you just complaining on
philosophical grounds?  (I doubt it would really be a problem with any
switched network--though I'll admit it would be a problem if you use a
hub, but the hub would cause many other problems, too, so you shouldn't
use one with a Myth system.)

And, really, if you've got NFS mounts on /every/ single backend, how
much harder is it to replicate those mounts on the frontends, too?

Mike