[mythtv-users] [Slightly OT] solar power for all our gadgets

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Mar 19 17:33:47 UTC 2009

On Thursday 19 March 2009 11:22:58 David Brodbeck wrote:
> Mike Perkins wrote:
> > This is so way off-topic, but I'll add my 0.02: There was a suggestion
> > recently that nuclear - and other toxic - wastes should be dumped in a
> > handy subduction zone. Once the stuff is pulled into the mantle we
> > shouldn't have to worry about it - and in a few million years, there'll
> > be a new radioactive mineral deposit for the next lot to exploit.
>
> It's an intriguing idea.  Even if it did eventually erupt back to the
> surface, it would be so diluted and so decayed that it wouldn't pose a
> threat.
>
> The biggest problem I can see with it is subduction zones are mostly
> under the ocean, so keeping the waste from leaching into the seawater
> before it was pulled under might be problematic.  We're talking about
> inches per year; it's a slow process.

Please do not decide to put it in the Yellowstone Caldera. I live close enough
to that that the next eruption would effect me :-)

To quote a NYC Sanitation oficial: You have 3 choices, the land, the sea or
the air. One of them will be chosen, because the stuff will keep coming (he
was referring to non-radioactive solid waste).

--
beww
beww at beww.org