[mythtv-users] [Slightly OT] solar power for all our gadgets

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Thu Mar 19 17:22:58 UTC 2009

Mike Perkins wrote:
> This is so way off-topic, but I'll add my 0.02: There was a suggestion
> recently that nuclear - and other toxic - wastes should be dumped in a
> handy subduction zone. Once the stuff is pulled into the mantle we
> shouldn't have to worry about it - and in a few million years, there'll
> be a new radioactive mineral deposit for the next lot to exploit.

It's an intriguing idea.  Even if it did eventually erupt back to the
surface, it would be so diluted and so decayed that it wouldn't pose a
threat.

The biggest problem I can see with it is subduction zones are mostly
under the ocean, so keeping the waste from leaching into the seawater
before it was pulled under might be problematic.  We're talking about
inches per year; it's a slow process.