[mythtv-users] [Slightly OT] solar power for all our gadgets

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Thu Mar 19 17:17:09 UTC 2009

David Brodbeck wrote:
> Chad wrote:
>> And to bring it back onto the topic (in this off topic conversation ;]
>> ) is jettison an option?
>
> Not really.  The energy costs are enormous and a launch failure would be
> a disaster.
>
> Burying it is not such a terrible idea, really.  We actually have a good
> example of what happens to buried solid nuclear wastes over a very long
> period of time -- the natural nuclear reactor that formed 2 billion
> years ago in a uranium deposit in Oklo, Gabon.  This reactor "operated"
> intermittently over a period of about 100,000 years.  In two billion
> years the fission products of that reactor have migrated only a very
> short distance through the ground.  This suggests that a properly
> situated waste site could successfully contain nuclear waste for a very
> long time.

This is so way off-topic, but I'll add my 0.02: There was a suggestion recently
that nuclear - and other toxic - wastes should be dumped in a handy subduction
zone. Once the stuff is pulled into the mantle we shouldn't have to worry about
it - and in a few million years, there'll be a new radioactive mineral deposit
for the next lot to exploit.

--

Mike Perkins