[mythtv-users] [Slightly OT] solar power for all our gadgets

Chad masterclc at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 16:21:20 UTC 2009

On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 9:58 AM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> On Thursday 19 March 2009 09:36:48 Chad wrote:
>
>> Very interesting!  Thank you very much for your insight.  As we run
>> from nuclear energy, what forms of energy production do you suggest
>> should we be running towards?  If that reads sarcastic, it's not.  I'm
>> honestly interested in what your opinion is for a real fix to the
>> problem if nuclear isn't it.
>
> I too found his post interesting, nice to hear from somebody who actually
> worked in the industry.
>
> As for the "real fix", it doesn't exist, short of us all leaving the planet
> (in a way that doesn't cause it more problems).
>
> Unrestrained population growth is the "real" problem, but try telling that to
> the Octo-Mom, or people in developing countries. China is the only country
> that has admitted that to itself, and they are attacked on all fronts for
> even trying to do something about it. Every human born condemns many other
> animals to death, quickly or slowly, the planet can only support so many
> living beings for so long.
>
> --
> beww
> beww at beww.org

Come on space station!  We need ya!  :)  Not veering too far off
topic, anyone play Sid Meier's Civilization?  Doesn't everything that
is going on remind you of the problems faced in the "advanced"
civilizations that didn't make it into space fast enough?  Sid's a
genius!  :D

And to bring it back onto the topic (in this off topic conversation ;]
) is jettison an option?  The nuclear waste getting buried here seems
to be a bad option, but what about propelling that stuff into space
when we send up a couple of astronauts to work on the space station?
Send it into some path towards the sun maybe?  Clearly I'm not the
first to think of this option, I'm just curious what the problem with
this idea is.  I live in Utah and we have a nuclear disposal company
(Energy Solutions) that is trying to buy waste from other nations to
bury in the deserts here; I hear a lot of NIMBA and so I'm curious
where it should go if not in your own backyard.  He who made it should
deal with it kind of a thing.

-Chad