[mythtv-users] Help with Dual VGA FX5200

James Pifer jep at obrien-pifer.com
Wed Mar 18 00:24:31 UTC 2009

I picked up a PNY GeForce FX5200 which has dual VGA out and SVideo
out.Right now I have it working using VGA1 on a monitor and SVideo to a
TV. Monitor is a 15" 4:3 montor. I'm looking at picking up a widescreen
LCD TV. I could setup SVideo to it, but was thinking I'd rather connect
it with VGA cable. (I'm not doing any HD right now)

1) I'm trying to get it to work with twinview on both VGA ports.
nvidia-settings only giving me the option for one VGA port and TVOut. Is
it possible to use both VGA outs with nvidia's linux drivers?

2) Once I get number #1 working, I'd like to be able to run different
resolutions on the screens. Maybe that takes twinview out, not sure. I
would like to run 1024x768 and a widescreen resolution on the widescreen
TV.

3) I was playing around in mythfrontend's setup and it looks like you
can run different aspect ratios on different screens. I would like to
also do that. Run 4:3 on the LCD 15" monitor and widescreen aspect ratio
on the TV. Mythfrontend setup under "Appearance" shows me screens for 0
and 1, but I assume SVideo is not a separate screen. Am I in the right
place to do this if I get #1 working?

My other frontend with an FX5200 with single VGA/SVideo out also shows
screens 0 and 1 in appearance so maybe that's misleading to me.

So, in general are these possible? To me it looks like it is. Can anyone
help me with #1?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
James