[mythtv-users] HD HomeRun 1012xxxxx vs later models (Rev1 vs Rev2 tuners)

jason maxwell decepticon at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 16:59:28 UTC 2009

On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 3:16 AM, David Brodbeck <gull at gull.us> wrote:

> Brian Wood wrote:
>
>> You might also need a bi-directional amp, if your cable modem is after the
>> amplifier. The modem needs to be able to send a signal back to the cable
>> system.
>>

> If it were me, I think I'd put a splitter before the amp and put the cable
> modem on one leg of the splitter.  This is assuming the 3 dB loss of the
> splitter isn't too much for the modem, but it usually isn't.
>
> In general, when I had a cable modem, I tried to put it on the first split.
>  e.g., if I had to go to three TVs, I'd use a two-way splitter with the
> modem on one leg, then put a three-way splitter on the other leg for the
> TVs.  TVs are usually less picky about signal loss than modems.

This is how I have it, but in addition to 3 TVs, that second leg is also
going to my 4 mythtv tuners.  My cable modem was on a leg marked 8db, while
the TVs and myth were on the one marked 3db or something like that.  Just
for kicks I reversed the two, and so far I have no artifacts on any tuner,
or TV.  I must be right at the borderline of usable signal, and I guess the
specs stamped on the splitters is a wild guess.

I'm seriously considering going all OTA soon, since the networks are pretty
much all that's available in the clear, and the OTA signal is more reliable
than comcast, despite being 40+ miles from broadcast using a coat hanger and
tin foil DIY antenna.
-Jason