[mythtv-users] Serial control of a TV

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Tue Mar 17 14:38:29 UTC 2009

Ronald Frazier wrote:
>> Is anyone controlling a Sharp TV via serial?
>>

> Sorry I'm a few days late replying, but I am doing serial control of
> my Aquos. I wrote a custom perl script to handle it using the
> Device::SerialPort module. You can download the perl module here:
>
> http://www.ronfrazier.net/mythtv/downloads/Aquos.pm
>
> On my system, I've got several scripts that try to control the TV, and
> since I didn't want them trying to share the serial port, I wrote a
> script (aquosserver.pl) that runs in the background, accepts TCP
> connections, and then issues commands from those connections and sends
> back the results. This way there is only one program touching the
> serial port. If you are interested, I can make that program available,
> but I need to clean up a few things first. Let me know.

I'd love to see them.  My relationship with perl is somewhat like
genital herpes; I know it exists but I really don't want to deal with
it.  :-(  In spite of some serious efforts at learning it, the concepts
are so far from the way I think that I'm probably in the running for the
world's worst perl programmer.

And it sounds like a worthwhile contribution to myth....

--Yan

--
Yan Seiner

Support my bid for the 4J School Board.