[mythtv-users] Hauppauge WinTV-Nova-HD-S2

Andre Newman mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Tue Mar 17 09:46:40 UTC 2009

On 16 Mar 2009, at 16:22, Gary Heard wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Anyone had any luck with the card mentioned in the title?  I'm
> trying to run this on Suse 11.1, with an Athlon X2 Processor and 4Gb
> RAM.  Myth doesn't seem to detect the card (CX-8800) even though the
> Hardware shows in YAST that it's there.  It does however show in
> there as a TV card, an older Technotrend Card I had showed correctly
> as being a DVB-s card

Might not be relevant but...

I've just spent three days getting one of these cards to work, I tried
Ubuntu Jaunty's kernel, then found a howto for Hardy which I followed
http://www.eurocardsharing.com/f273/howto-getting-hvr-4000-nova-hd-cards-working-linux-using-s2api-105681
I followed the Linux TV wiki
http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hauppauge_WinTV-HVR-4000
I then tried to get the card working in Windows, maybe it was faulty?
No success either but then I've always found Windows video device
drivers to be a nightmare, it's usually easier to get them working in
Linux for me.

In every case the driver built and loaded fine, detected the card but
no dvb devices were created, no firmware was loaded!

Gave up in disgust, turned the machine off, went to bed. Turned the
machine on the next day and the card was working on first boot!!
WTF?
I've had trouble with a Nova T 500 not resetting properly on reboot so
I had tried turning the machine off at a couple of stages before but
it appears the card needed a full discharge.

Might not be related to your problem but then again?

Andre