[mythtv-users] Going to add HD-- anyone with the WD "green" sata drive?

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 17:29:23 UTC 2009

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 9:09 AM, Dan Wilga
<mythtv-users2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu> wrote:
> One thing to note: the "green" drive only has a 3-year warranty, as opposed
> to 5 for the "black" drive:
>
> http://support.wdc.com/warranty/policy.asp?custtype=end&lang=en
>
> I've done 3 or 4 RMA's on drives over the years, and they've always been
> around the 2- to 3-year mark. Having the extra two years can really help,
> IMHO. By five years the drive is pretty much guaranteed to have become
> obsolete anyway.
> --

Years ago I moved to 100% Seagate because they were the only one with
a 5 year warranty. However now with drive prices as they are, if a
drive dies after 4 years to me it is questionable weather or not I
will return it. I mean the 320GB 7200.10s I bought in 2006, if any of
them go bad in 2010 will spend $10 to send back a drive worth $25?

John