[mythtv-users] 1080 playback on 1680 x 945 18.4" laptop screen

diane mittnik dianemittnik at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 17:07:45 UTC 2009

We're considering purchasing a laptop with a NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT
graphics card (1gb dedicated video ram).  The resolution of the screen
is 1680 x 945 on a 18.4" screen size.  The laptop selection is
partially influenced by the nvidia card in the hope we can use it as a
frontend with mythtv and VDPAU when 0.22 is released.

1. Is it possible to view 1080i/p (mostly interested in 1080i for the
foreseeable future) with 1680x945 resolution, or is downscaling video
to 945 basically making the resolution as good as or even worse than
720p?

2.  Is the 16ms screen response rate going to be a major problem?

3. Should we wait in hopes that 1080 native resolution laptop screens
are coming soon?  Are they?  We would expect them to be coming out as
the US is transitioning now to digital...

thanks,

Di.