[mythtv-users] Australia, Freeview and MythTV

sonofzev at iinet.net.au sonofzev at iinet.net.au
Mon Mar 16 05:01:43 UTC 2009

On Mon Mar 16 14:47 , Guy Gibson  sent:

>It could be one of many possible combinations of codecs in MPEG-4, but
>NZ and Norway are both using MPEG4 with H.264 and AAC audio.   The
>kiwis have been pretty active in trailing VPADU drivers for H.264,
>especially  needed with high bit rate 1080i transmissions.
>
>There's also a mythtvnz users discussion list.
>
>And btw its very close to if not at WAF acceptable when using VPADU
>and a good Nvidia card
>
>Guy

Thanks everybody for your replies..

Well AFAIK, the first official Freeview channel will be ONE HD.. I really can go
without a 24 hour sports channel. I don't know if that will actually be moving to
MPEG 4 yet though. The information in the newspaper was very vague.

I'm pretty sure it won't be encrypted, I can't believe that a government would
enforce vendor lock-in for free-to-air TV, but then again, they are looking to
filter our Internet.. so who knows.

So hopefully mythtv 0.22 will be available by the time anyone else goes across. I
already had plans to put in new nvidia cards.. so that's a no brainer..

The Australian public isn't well informed as to what is going on but I imagine
there will be a backlash... (except that mpeg4 h.264 makes more sense as it
requires less bandwidth so could have a deeper signal penetration..