[mythtv-users] Australia, Freeview and MythTV

sonofzev at iinet.net.au sonofzev at iinet.net.au
Mon Mar 16 03:23:45 UTC 2009

We've been duped..

Australia has a new Digital system being launched.. I'm writing just to check and
see what I/we will need to do if this does eventuate.

Freeview has announced that there will be a move from the current MPEG-2 based
(DVB-T)system to an MPEG-4 based system... and here's the catch (that I'm dubious
of) "only Freeview branded set top boxes and TV's will be able to see those channels"

Aside from the fact that aside from the proposed "Internet Filter", this will
make Stephen Conroy possibly the most unpopular parliamentarian in Australia's
history (How many people have bought new LCD's with built in HD tuners
anticipating the big switching off of analogue tv only to find they will need a
new set top box??)...

While I'm sure this simply means that Australia will be changing over to a newer
technology that supports MPEG-4.. Does anyone have an idea what this is, and is
it likely my tuners will support it?

(FYI I have a dvico dual express and a dvico fusion lite)

cheers

Allan