[mythtv-users] Serial control of a TV

Greg Newton greg.newton at exemail.com.au
Sat Mar 14 06:11:19 UTC 2009

2009/3/14 stuart <stuart at xnet.com>

> Yan Seiner wrote:
>>
>> This is driving me absolutely nuts.  I have a Sharp Aquos, which has a serial port.  You can send some very basic commands to the TV - like ON, OFF, set the volume, etc.
>>
>> When I connect via minicom, I can send "POWR0   " I get back OK and the TV shuts off.
>>
>> When I echo "POWR0   " via the shell, I get back ERR and the TV doesn't shut off.
>>
>> Is anyone controlling a Sharp TV via serial?
>>
>> And if so, WTF is the difference between minicom and
>>
>> stty -F $PORT 9600 -crtscts cs8 -parenb -cstopb raw
>> echo "POWR0   "
>>
>> ????
>>

> Just a guess, check how the line ends if you can for each application. There may be only a ctrl-j or a crtl-m or both.  And check the order.

I'd stick with the line-ends theory too - the manual for my LC46PD7X
says "Eight ASCII codes + CR" - maybe try

echo -e "POWR0  \r"

I've only tested mine from Windows - and can confirm that these
undocumented commands worked too:

RSPW0001     Enable RS232 power ON
POWR1___     POWER ON (FROM STANDBY)
RSPW1___     Also acceptable? (works for me)

Greg |;^)